Wednesday, January 17, 2007

St Kitts and San Juan, Puerto Rico






The view from the deck of the ship shows St Kitts to be a beautiful island. Unfortunately I had neither the energy nor the desire to go ashore that day. This cruise has taught me that seeing five islands in five consecutive days is just too much. I can do a maximum of three days in a row without getting overwhelmed and overly tired. St. Kitts was on the fourth consecutive day, so it didn't really have a chance.
We visited San Juan on the 5th consecutive day, and both pictures were taken through my cabin window. This time we had been up very late the night before. We got up to go through customs and eat breakfast, and then went back to bed and slept until just a few minutes before we were scheduled to leave the port. I had a different kind of adventure that night, and if I had it to do again, I would have made my priorities the same. After all, San Juan is not going anywhere. It will still be there when I return to it next week. This time I do plan to do some exploring, and to bring back some good photos.
The very first island we visited on this cruise also never saw me. We had gotten a very late start out of Norfolk, due to engine issues, so we ended up with only a couple of hours of shore time available when we arrived at Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. That time was made shorter by the necessity of tendering to shore. I imagine that I will have another chance to visit that island, also.
My next cruise starts on Sunday, just a few days away, and I can hardly wait. I'm sorry this will only be for 7 nights, because being on a ship has gotten to be addictive. I like being pampered and I like being away from the stresses at home. Cruising gives me the freedom to be a different person from what I am at home, and the change is a pleasant experience. It's also a great opportunity to meet new friends, and sometimes even to get to know people from home better.
This cruise will be returning to both St. Thomas and San Juan. It will be a good opportunity to get new pictures to share. And I just like being on a ship. What more excuse do I need for another cruise? None that I can think of!

No comments: