Sunday, September 9, 2007

Washington, DC

Unfortunately I have no photos from my visit to our nation's capitol on September 1. Buddy & I took his son up to George Washington University, & afterwards drove around the city.

The most impressive thing I saw was the bronze sculpture of raising the flag at Iwo Jima. Even though it is bronze, the men almost seemed to be alive. It's an amazing work of art.

On the way home we stopped to explore the Potomac Mills Outlet Mall. I was amazed at how big it is. It's a great place to get your walking exercise, and there is a great variety of stores.

The other thing worth mentioning is the place we stopped for dinner: the Thai Cafe in Springfield (across from Circuit City and Bed, Bath & Beyond). It did not look like much from the front, but they have a beautiful dining room in the back. The food and service were excellent. The last time we'd tried a popular Thai restaurant, the experience was disappointing at best, so it was nice to have some authentic Thai food again, like what I learned to enjoy in Bangkok.

I expect to be returning to the Capitol in about a month & also expect to remember to bring & use my camera - I'll write more after that visit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.